General Info for Emmet County
|Emmet County Courthouse
200 Division Street
Petoskey Michigan 49770
|County Building General Office Hours
7:30am - 6:00pm
|County offices closed the following days.
|Tuesday, January 1, 2009
||New Year's Day
|Afternoon Only, April 10, 2009
|Monday, May 25, 2009
|Monday, July 6, 2009
|Monday, September 7, 2009
|Thursday, November 26, 2009
|Friday, November 27, 2009
||Friday after Thanksgiving
|Thursday, December 24, 2009
|Friday, December 25, 2009
The County of Emmet
Organized in 1853
County Seat - Petoskey
2000 Census - 31,437
295,040 acres which includes:
197,677 acres of forested land,
113,285 acres of crop and pasture land,
10,400 acres of inland water area,
68 miles of Lake Michigan shoreline.
Pellston Regional Airport (PLN) served by Northwest Air Link
Harbor Springs Municipal Airport (MGN)- Executive Class
92 miles of State trunk lines, 419.82 miles of
paved county roads, 408.18 miles of gravel and earth county roads
- Forest cover, scenic, rolling topography and Lake Michigan shoreline that combine
to provide an excellent physical environment in which to live. Nearly 30% of the County's land area is in public ownership (state, federal, county and local government lands).
- Year round recreational resources and facilities for swimming, boating, golfing,
fishing, hunting, skating, snowmobiling and skiing. Also, a 287 acre County Park
(Camp Pet-o-se-ga), which offers 32 camp sites with electric and water hook-up, a fully modern bath house, and
cabin rentals, and the 550 acre Headlands , adjacent to the Village of Mackinaw City, which offers two recreation housing facilities and can
accommodate up to twenty-five people.
- Four shopping centers, and the Petoskey Gaslight Shopping District.
- Excellent medial facilities - Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey, a regional facility with a large number of on staff medical specialists, unequaled in Northern Michigan. Several assisted living facilities, nursing homes and Bay Bluffs, an Emmet County Medical Care Facility.
- Excellent public and private schools, a 2-year college, local newspapers, radio and television
stations, and churches of many denominations.
- Many cultural and civic organizations and activities at historic Bay View and the Crooked Tree Arts Center.
- Industrial parks and industrial sites, including airport locations.
- Five marinas - Bay Harbor, Harbor Springs, Petoskey, Ponshewaing, and Alanson.
- Besides a comprehensive community college curriculum, a business assistance center and a University Center is located at North Central Michigan College, with excellent facilities for conferences in a 71,000 sq. ft. student and community resources building.
- The County has 21 units of government, which includes 2 cities, 3 incorporated villages and 16 townships.
- Emmet County is also home to the Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians, a native American Community that manages a gaming casino, and provides a variety of services for tribal members, including housing, health care and other social services.