Welcome to the Township of Wawatam. We are a General Law Township with a Population of 661 (2010 census) with a total area of 20.4 sq. miles. We are located at the northern most tip of Emmet County. We enjoy approx 10 miles of Lake Michigan Shoreline from Wilderness Park to the southern end of the Mackinaw Bridge.
Wawatam Township was established in 1923 when it split from Carp Lake Township located to our south. We are named after Chief Wawatam, an Ojibwa noted for rescuing British trader Alexander Henry from the Ojibwas’ capture of Fort Michilimackinac in 1763.
We are still in the Original Township Hall built in 1929 located at 123 W. Etherington inside the Village of Mackinaw City.